What are the basic components of Linux?
List most other operating systems, Linux includes the following basic components:
- Kernel – Maintains all the vital abstractions of the operating system, as well as the virtual memory and processes.
- System libraries – a typical set of functions through which applications can interrelate through the kernel.
- Shells and GUIs – Interface to the kernel. Takes commands from the user and executes kernel's functions.
- System utilities – System programs that execute individual, particular and specialized managing tasks
- Application program – Various applications that can be used for various different tasks by the user